“I have seen Gill’s advocacy skills on a great number of occasions. Her greatest attribute is her ability to remain calm and unflustered, even when faced with the most confrontational opponent, allowing a clear delivery in court.”
Instructing solicitor in property case
“Thank you so, so much for fighting my case, I couldn’t have asked for anyone better. I can never really thank you enough.”
Client in discrimination claim
Gillian joined Ely Place Chambers in 2002 following completion of her pupillage in a civil set of chambers in the Temple. Since then Gillian has developed a busy and satisfying practice, specialising in all areas of employment law and property, and is now the team leader for the Employment team. Gillian provides pragmatic advice and advocacy to a wide range of clients, from police forces to multi-national firms and local authorities. In court, Gillian has a quietly confident demeanour: she is tenacious and completely unflappable in achieving the best results for her client.. Gillian is an Accredited Mediator and is qualified to take on Direct Public Access work.
Property & private client
Gillian is one of chambers’ specialists in property work. Her practice encompasses all aspects of real property, landlord and tenant (both commercial and residential), housing law, and residential and mortgage possessions. Gillian has extensive experience in handling complex disrepair claims and possession claims on the grounds of breach of covenants and nuisance, and is an expert on anti-social behaviour law. Gillian has successfully conducted a number of long-running and complex service charge cases in the First tier tribunal (Property chamber) and County Court on behalf of freeholders and management companies, and dealing with breach of covenant counter-claims and points of law as to consultation requirements and the construction of leases. Gillian also has a niche licensing practice. She is regularly instructed in a wide range of licensing matters, including alcohol, entertainment, gambling, taxi licence matters and “tables and chairs” applications. She has acted on behalf of applicants, objectors, responsible authorities and licensing authorities across the whole spectrum of licensing applications, from new applications to reviews and appeals in the Magistrates’ Courts, and judicial review applications. Recent cases include:
- Advising on a long running enfranchisement claim
- Successfully representing a defendant in a boundary dispute/ right of way claim
- Advising a Claimant in an obstruction of a right of way claim
- Successfully acting for a lender client in the Land Registration First Tier Tribunal
- Successfully representing lessees resisting legal costs being applied through the service charge
- Successfully acting for a lessee in applying for appointment of a manager in the face of continuing disrepair
- Advising a local authority on major works and the application of service charge provisions in leases affecting numerous properties.
Gillian has a busy employment law practice in both advice and litigation and has been practising in employment law for 15 years. She appears regularly in Employment Tribunals throughout the United Kingdom, on behalf of both claimants and respondents, although her practice is predominantly respondent-based. Her practice includes the whole range of employment issues, including TUPE, Working Time Regulations, and claims of unfair dismissal through to discrimination claims. She is also instructed in cases involving the enforcement of restrictive covenants in employment contracts in the County Court and High Court. Gillian has a particular expertise in complex discrimination claims, with an emphasis on disability claims. In terms of her respondent work, Gillian is regularly instructed by police forces and local authorities throughout the country. In terms of her Claimant work, Gillian is regularly instructed by a well-known union and has been advising on claims for failure to inform and consult and on ongoing industrial relations issues. Gillian also assists in the ELAAS scheme.
Recent cases include:
- Successfully acted for GlaxoSmithKline in a 15 day disability –related discrimination claim and failure to make reasonable adjustments claim arising out of a performance management process.
- Successfully acted for a Respondent GP practice in a claim for constructive unfair dismissal
- Successfully acted for a Respondent employer in a 5 day constructive unfair dismissal claim, disability discrimination and failure to make reasonable adjustments claim arising out of a stress at work claim.
- Successfully defended a Respondent University in a 5 day claim of unfair dismissal arising out of a failure to obey a reasonable instruction during the course of a potential redundancy situation.
Successfully defending a charitable housing association in a 15 day claim of direct disability and sex discrimination, discrimination arising, victimisation and unfair dismissal, and successfully persuading the tribunal of a fair dismissal for some other substantial reason, namely the irretrievable breakdown of the relationship between the Claimant and her employers.
Public & regulatory
Gillian also represents interested parties at Coroner’s inquests. She is primarily instructed on behalf of NHS Trusts, health care providers and police forces. She has also been instructed to represent families and corporate clients.
Recent work includes being instructed on an inquest arising out of a death in a neuro-rehabilitation unit and an inquest arising out of a death in custody.
Employment Law Bar Association
Employment Law Association
Property Bar Association
Personal Injury Bar Association
Institute of Licensing